Harper’s Tire (1931) Ltd. has a long history of serving customers.
Here is how it all began…
April 23, John Munro Skinner Harper was born.
J.M. Harper emigrated to Calgary, from Scotland with his family.
J.M. as well as his father George and brothers George Jr. William and James enlisted in the Royal Canadian Army serving in France. Upon discharge, J.M. was offered post-service education and opted to take the vulcanizing course offered.
J.M. left Fisk Tire and purchased Foster’s vulcanizing. He changed the name to Harper’s Tire Service.
During the war years, tires were rationed, so satisfactory repairs were necessary and custom retreading became a necessity, this became an important part of the business.
J.M. Harper retired, the tire business was combined with Harper’s Hardware and Jack, Don and Stan , his three sons became partners.
J.M. Harper became one of the founding members of the Western Canada Tires Dealers Association and served as its President in 1962 and 1963.
The growth of the marine & sports sales was seen in this period. A change in focus for the tire division. Retreading was discontinued and more attention was diverted from large fleets, to small fleets and retail business.
Sales growth continued for both divisions, the ski department was sold, a new facility was constructed for the tire division and Stan and Don purchased Jack Harper’s shares.
Stan Harper served as President of the Western Canada Tire Dealers Association.
1979 & 1980
The assets of Harper’s Tire Service (Calgary) Ltd. were sold to 2 new companies; Harper’s Marine Ltd. (Don Harper and family) and Harper’s Tire (1931) Ltd. (Stan Harper and family).
Dan Harper served as President of the Western Canada Tire Dealers Association.
1999 & 2000
Dan Harper served as the President of the Tire Dealers of Canada from 2000 – 2004. During this period, Dan & Tom took over the management of Harper’s Tire
2000 – 2004
75th Anniversary. Harpers created 6 tire service bays with the most up-to-date equipment and built a separate wholesale office.
Harpers opened 2nd location in Douglasdale (318, 11488 – 24th ST. SE)
Harpers opened a new warehouse location at #9, 4216 – 61st Ave SE, Calgary, AB.
Harpers opened our 3rd location in Crowfoot with the most-up-to date equipment. In December 2013 we closed operation of the wholesale division.
In October 2016 we will be celebrating our 85th Anniversary.